Progressions is an intensive string training program, providing private instruction and orchestral training in violin, viola, cello and bass to 3rd and 4th grade City of Milwaukee students with little or no experience playing a string instrument.
One of the primary aims of Progressions is increase participation in MYSO by students from minority populations that have been historically underrepresented in MYSO and other youth orchestra programs. Progressions participants are primarily minority students.
Progressions students receive:
- Weekly private instruction by a professional Violin, Viola, Cello, or Bass teacher
- Weekly group lesson called a “masterclass”
- Orchestra experience, in which teachers play along with and interact with these motivated students
- Music books and other materials
- Performance experience in both solo and ensemble settings
- Exposure to the other MYSO orchestras and students
- Opportunities to be mentored by advanced MYSO student volunteers (Progressions interns)
- An instrument on loan (either from his/her school or from MYSO)
How do I get involved in Progressions?
Progressions accepts students only via nomination from school principals, teachers and music directors. We ask school principals, teachers and music directors to carefully select and recommend students they believe possess the potential to become successful music students.
Each school year, MYSO enrolls approximately 30-40 new Progressions students from schools throughout the City of Milwaukee.
Is there a fee to participate in Progressions?
Generous donations and community support make it possible to fund nearly the entire the cost of participation for each Progressions student. The actual cost per student is more than $1,000 per school year, but contributions make it possible to charge just $25 per school year for each Progressions student!
What are the Progressions time commitment and schedule?
- Progressions is an intense time commitment—but the return on this investment of your time is well worth it!
- Progressions students are required to report to MYSO 3 times per week, for approximately 1-2 hours each day.
- All Progressions lessons and rehearsals take place at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center.
- Details regarding scheduled lessons, rehearsals, concerts and more are provided just before the start of the season.
For more information:
Contact Community Partnerships Manager Sarah Christie at 414-267-2949.