We invite MYSO’s budding composers to apply for the John Downey Creation Project which gives select MYSO students the opportunity to compose their own pieces with the guidance of professional composers. This program provides MYSO ensembles as well as the composers, an important and exciting experience by undertaking the many challenges of composing and performing new music.
This program is named in memory of world-renowned composer John Downey, resident composer, music theory instruction director, and dear friend of MYSO for more than 40 years. Read more about Dr. Downey here.
How it works:
- Selected students will be paired up with a professional composer/teaching artist.
- Teaching artists will provide guidance and instruction throughout the compositional process, from the early structural and conceptual issues of composition through the final scoring and rehearsals of their work.
- Professional level score and parts will be produced by MYSO’s music librarian.
- Your 3-5 minute finished piece is given a world premiere performance by a MYSO ensemble.
- Space is limited in this unique program.
- completion of the form below
- access to a computer music engraving program such as Finale or Sibelius
- Selected students may need to purchase a composition textbook or additional software as directed by their teaching artist.
- The fee for this program is $205.
Please contact Artistic Administrator Dan Duffy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-267-2946, with questions.
Apply by Monday, August 8, 2022.
John Downey Creation Project Application
"*" indicates required fields