Saturday, January 14, 2023
Milwaukee Youth Arts Center
- performs as soloist, accompanied by members of their ensemble in their final spring performance of the season, unless otherwise notified.
Application and deadline
- Please use the online application form at the link below and submit your information no later than TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 29.
- You will receive an emailed confirmation of your online application. Print out this email, and obtain signatures of the applicant, a parent, and the applicant’s private teacher.
- The signed email printout containing parent and private teacher signatures must be received in the MYSO office no later than TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6.
- scan and submit it here OR
- mail to: 325 West Walnut Street, Milwaukee, 53212
- Private teachers may email Mr. Duffy in support of your application if you are not able to obtain a signature from your private teacher at this time.
- You will be notified of your audition time by January 1. Please call 414-267-2946 if you do not receive your audition time by that date.
- This competition is open only to musicians in MYSO’s Metropolitan Symphony; previous winners of the Metropolitan Symphony Concerto Competition are ineligible.
- Musicians may audition only on his/her instrument played in Metropolitan Symphony.
- Musicians must be in good standing and up-to-date with all membership fees in order to compete.
- Musicians who fail to show up for the competition without a phone call notification to the MYSO office at least 24 hours in advance of January 14 may be considered ineligible to compete in 2024.
- Memorization is preferred but not required.
- Piano accompaniment is required. Families must make their own arrangements. Call our office if you need assistance.
- Musician’s choice of repertoire is subject to approval by the music director and administrative staff. Click here for suggestions.
- Musician’s solo should be the same piece they expect to perform if chosen as a winner.
- Music which is deemed too difficult to acquire or expensive to perform may not be approved.
- The piece must have an orchestral accompaniment, and the selection must be an entire movement of an original work for orchestra, not an arrangement.
- Selections over 15 minutes in length are subject to prior approval.
- Musicians are expected to prepare the entire movement.
- MYSO is not able to guarantee audition times. Please note times that you can’t make.
- Consider your accompanist’s schedule.
- All MYSO concerto competitions will occur simultaneously on January 14.
Contact Dan Duffy at 414-267-2946 with questions.