How can the writing on a piece of paper turn into a powerful expression of music? Unlocking the musical “codes” gives you special appreciation for the riches of the music you play. Decode the exciting world of music when you begin a MYSO Music Theory class. Understanding the inner workings of music, training your ear to hear what you’ve never heard before are part of this exploration.
Taught by James Burmeister, recently retired Assistant Dean of the UW-Milwaukee Peck School of the Arts and Senior Lecturer in Music Theory, these engaging enrichment courses will take you from the very basics of note reading to complicated harmonic analysis and original composition.
Why should MYSO musicians enroll in a Music Theory class?
The knowledge you gain in Music Theory will help you develop into a musician ready for the challenges in MYSO and beyond. Your musicianship and understanding will enrich your contribution to your ensemble. Studying music theory is a great way to create a solid foundation for all future music study. And if you plan to study music in college, it will place you ahead of the curve.
- Beginning Theory (grades 4-8): Music fundamentals including: note reading in treble, alto, tenor, and bass clefs, major and minor scales, intervals, triads, chords, sight singing, ear training, error detection, rhythm exercises, conducting, harmony, composing music, and more will be explored.
- Intermediate/Advanced Theory (grades 6-12): Following a brief review of music theory fundamentals, the class will continue with an in-depth study of analytical music theory including: analysis of musical excerpts from the repertoire, four-part writing, original composition, counterpoint, musical structures, sight-singing, and ear training. Prior experience with beginning music theory instruction is required.
- Beginning Theory: via Zoom, Wednesdays, 4:00–4:45 pm, beginning Wednesday, September 20.
- Intermediate/Advanced Theory: via Zoom, Tuesdays, 4:00–4:45 pm, beginning Tuesday, September 19.
Cost and Materials:
- Beginning Theory: $215 plus textbook costs (approx. $20 + shipping)
- Intermediate/Advanced Theory: $275 (includes access to online materials)
How to Sign Up:
Complete and submit the form below by Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
To register and pay for Music Theory, link to MYSO’s registration portal here.