by Michelle Hoffman
Congratulations to MYSO members named winners in the 2021 Civic Music High School Competition: Nicholas Emanuelson, cello; Shreya Girish, flute; Lucas LaBeau, piano (winner of the Lee Guse Memorial Jazz Scholarship); Autumn Lee, clarinet; Isabella Lozier, voice; and Cecelia Santiago, violin.
On January 30, MYSO held concerto competitions for seven of its ensembles. The winners are:
- Senior Symphony: Cecelia Santiago, violin;
- Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra: Owne Xayboury, viola;
- Philharmonia: Cordelia Zahner, violin;
- Sinfonia: Kate Flint, viola; and Madison Koo, violin;
- String Orchestra: Charlotte Kojis, violin; Ava Larsen, cello; and Kevin Mi, cello;
- Chamber Flute Ensemble: Zackary Munoz; flute; and
- Flute Chorale: Jordin Sun, flute.
These musicians will perform as featured soloists with their ensembles this spring. See myso.org for a complete list of those recognized in our competitions.
Congratulations to the MYSO musicians who received a 2020-21 Janet Fleming Ruggeri Memorial Scholarship for Young Viola Players. Each year MYSO encourages violists to apply for this merit-based scholarship which has been in existence for more than three decades. This year’s award winners are Vivian Cucu, Kate Flint, Daniel Papikiants, Hayden Stringer, Sonya Wilhelm, and Owne Xayboury.
Congratulations to 2009 MYSO grad, violinist Ravenna “Ari” Lipchik who recently won a 2021 Grammy Award for her work on the recording of Ethel Smyth’s The Prison, which won in the Best Classical Vocal Solo Album category.