Saturday, January 8, 2022
Milwaukee Youth Arts Center
The health and safety of all participants in the concerto competition is our highest priority. All current safety protocols will continue to be implemented as we have done successfully since the beginning of the season. Additional protocols will include:
- additional cleaning in all warm-up spaces and audition rooms.
- Masks are required to be worn at all times by all competitors, parents/family members, and accompanists.
Parents and families will be allowed in the building, however we ask that they remain in the commons areas to reduce the number of people in the warm-up spaces. Parents and families will NOT be allowed in the audition rooms.
- performs as soloist, accompanied by members of their ensemble in their final spring performance of the season, unless otherwise notified.
Application and deadline
- Please use the online application form at the link below and submit your information as soon as possible, but NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 17. You will receive an emailed confirmation of your online application. Print out this email, and obtain signatures of the applicant, a parent, and the applicant’s private teacher.
- The signed email printout containing parent and private teacher signatures must be received in the MYSO office no later than WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1.
- scan and email it to Mr. Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- mail to: 325 West Walnut Street, Milwaukee, 53212
- Private teachers may email Mr. Duffy in support of your application if you are not able to obtain a signature from your private teacher at this time.
- You will be notified of your audition time by December 15. Please email Mr. Duffy at email@example.com or call 414-267-2946 if you do not receive your audition time by that date.
- This competition is open only to musicians in MYSO’s Philharmonia; previous winners of the Philharmonia Concerto Competition are ineligible.
- Musicians may audition only on his/her instrument played in Philharmonia.
- Musicians must be in good standing and up-to-date with all membership fees in order to compete.
- Musicians who fail to show up for the competition without a phone call notification to the MYSO office at least 24 hours in advance of January 8 may be considered ineligible to compete in 2023.
- Memorization is preferred but not required.
- Piano accompaniment is required. Families must make their own arrangements. Call our office if you need assistance.
- Musician’s choice of repertoire is subject to approval by the music director and administrative staff. Click here for suggestions.
- Musician’s solo should be the same piece they expect to perform if chosen as a winner.
- Music which is deemed too difficult to acquire or expensive to perform may not be approved.
- The piece must have an orchestral accompaniment, and the selection must be an entire movement of an original work for orchestra, not an arrangement.
- Selections over 15 minutes in length are subject to prior approval.
- Musicians are expected to prepare the entire movement.
- MYSO is not able to guarantee audition times. Please note times that you can’t make.
- Consider your accompanist’s schedule.
- All MYSO concerto competitions will occur simultaneously on January 8.
Contact Dan Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-267-2946 with questions.