MYSO is currently seeking students to serve as volunteer mentors for MYSO’s beginning instrumental programs in the 2022-23 school year, starting in September 2022.
Who is eligible:
- MYSO musicians in Senior Symphony, Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, and Philharmonia, 8th grade and up.
- NEW THIS YEAR: we need woodwind, brass, and percussion players to mentor 5th grade beginning musicians in MYSO’s new Prelude Wind Ensemble program;
- string players to mentor students in the Progressions program (3rd & 4th grades) and Prelude Orchestra (4th-8th grades)
APPLY BY FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
Why be a mentor?
- Make a difference by nurturing young musicians.
- Pass along what others have taught you: playing skills, good practice habits, and learning to play collaboratively within an ensemble.
- It challenges you to articulate and sequence the beginner learning experience.
- Earn service credits, if applicable.
Mentors may be asked to:
- be a teaching assistant or tutor;
- help model good classroom habits: be attentive to the teacher and actively participate. Students will notice and imitate you!
- help model good playing habits, posture, hand position, bow hold; show them how to hold instrument correctly;
- help students find book, page, or piece; help them follow along;
- help tune instruments;
- identify and assist students who need extra help in rehearsal.
When & Where:
Please volunteer for at least one day per week within the following schedule:
- Mondays (Prelude Orchestra): 5:00 – 6:15 pm
- Tuesdays (Progressions Lessons): 3:00 – 6:45 pm
- Wednesdays (Progressions Sectional Class): 4:30 – 6:30 pm
- Thursdays (Progressions Orchestra): 4:30 – 6:30 pm
Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion:
- Tuesdays (Prelude Wind Ensemble Lessons): 4:30 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesdays (Prelude Wind Ensemble Sectional Class): 6:00 – 7:00 pm
- Thursdays (Prelude Wind Ensemble Band): 5:30 – 7:00 pm
All take place at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center.
Mentors must attend a short training session. Details to follow.
If you are interested in mentoring these young musicians, please complete the form below.
Call the MYSO office at 414-267-2950 and ask for Community Program Manager Sabrina Raber.