MYSO is currently seeking students to serve as volunteer mentors for beginning string students in Progressions and Prelude Orchestra and beginning woodwind, brass, and percussion students starting in September 2023.
Who is eligible:
MYSO musicians in Senior Symphony, Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, and Philharmonia, grade 8 or higher, are eligible.
Why be a mentor?
Make a difference by nurturing the students in our immersive two-year string training program for third and fourth graders and introductory orchestra.
Pass along what others have taught you: playing skills, good practice habits, and learning to play collaboratively within an ensemble.
It challenges you to articulate and sequence the beginner learning experience.
Earn service credits, if applicable. We will gladly sign off on any service hours documentation.
Mentors may be asked to:
- be a teaching assistant or tutor;
- help model good classroom habits: be attentive to the teacher and actively participate. Students will notice and imitate you!
- help model good playing habits, posture, hand position, bow hold; show them how to hold instrument correctly;
- help students find book, page, or piece; help them follow along;
- help tune instruments;
- identify and assist students who need extra help in rehearsal.
When & Where:
Please volunteer for at least two hours weekly, if possible, within the following schedule:
- Mondays (Prelude Orchestra) 5:00 – 6:15 pm
- Wednesdays (Progressions Orchestra) 4:30 – 6:30 pm
- Thursdays (Progressions Orchestra) 4:30 – 6:30 pm
Woodwind, brass, or percussion players:
- Wednesdays (Prelude Wind Ensemble Sectional Class) 5:00 – 7:00 pm
- Thursdays (Prelude Wind Ensemble Band) 4:30 – 7:00 pm
All take place at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center.
Mentors must attend a short training session. Details to follow.
If you are interested in mentoring these young musicians, please complete the form below.
Call the MYSO office at 414-267-2950 with questions.
MYSO Student Mentor Application
Apply to be a mentor to MYSO’s Prelude Wind Ensemble, Progressions, and Prelude Orchestra musicians.